For this exercise, I would
like you to revisit that first conversation you had with an entrepreneur. In
that initial interview, you asked an entrepreneur three questions. Now, revisit
this interview and think about the questions you asked and the answers they
provided you. From where you stand now, what is your impression of that initial
interview?
My impression is that my
ideas of what entrepreneurship entailed were a bit off. I have a much
better grasp of the concept and I think that going forward, the class and the
chapter readings have provided a great foundation to see the other side of the
business world. I've been used to seeing the established, large enterprise/organization
side of things and I think I really like the rush and excitement a venture
could provide.
Second, visit the
entrepreneur again. Record the interview if possible. The three questions you
ask this time are entirely up to you. Let your experiences in this course drive
what questions you ask -- and that will be very different for each of
you!
1. What are
the major threats to your business?
The main threats would be
a downturn in business that could affect our bottom line. We try to
provide a great service and we go above and beyond to make sure we have repeat
business and that these clients are happy and will spread the word for a
great service experience.
2. What is the best
part of being an entrepreneur?
The best part
is having the satisfaction of seeing a project I've nurtured grow and
be successful. When your work pays off and it's up to you to make sure it
stays afloat it makes you work harder. I also enjoy the liberty and
freedom of being my own boss and this is a great perk. You have to
have the discipline to make sure work comes first in order for everything to
work out but then you can take time to take care of personal items if need be.
3. What is the worst
part of being an entrepreneur?
I think the worst part
would be the fear of failure as this is always a constant factor to take into
consideration. My family and my livelihood all depend on
the business being successful and this is of course a strong
motivator but at the same time the stress can be intense. I try to balance
that with exercise and spending time with my family.
Third, after the
interview, try to gather some sense of how far you have come in this class. In
your post, discuss your comfort level in talking about entrepreneurship in this
interview now, compared to three months ago. Did the entrepreneur convey a
sense that they thought you had progressed in your journey?
I had a conversation with
Shawn and the consensus was that I had a better overall idea of what
entrepreneurship is now than before. I guess I was stuck on the
stereotypes of what entrepreneurs and entrepreneurship meant and these were
pretty hard to dispel and get rid of. After the experiences and trials
and tribulations of this class, I am much better prepared to discuss
entrepreneurship and my take it on it will be much more accurate.

4 comments:
It sounds like you have come a long way in this course. My understanding and knowledge of entrepreneurship has also expanded greatly. It certainly takes courage to start your own venture and have the livelihood of your family depend on its success. I have the utmost respect for those who take that calculated risk. Unfortunately I was unable to complete the second interview with my entrepreneur, but if you would like to check out my blog, here is the link http://mrufent.blogspot.com/.
Your first question was good because most people do not think about all the different threats that can affect a business. I think asking about the best and worst parts of the being an entrepreneur was interesting because it shows how an entrepreneur is all about juggling your work and your life and trying to find the perfect balance.
Hi Ruben! Reading your post was very insightful. I liked that you included a picture of the person you interviewed! It’s something I haven’t seen so far, so that’s great. I think the questions you asked were great, and I asking the good and bad things about being an entrepreneur are important, because they reveal the human element of the topic. I wasn’t able to do the assignment, but I think you did awesome, Ruben. Good job!
Hi Ruben!
I like that your questions addressed multiple facets of being an entrepreneur. I agree with the answer that failure is definitely a factor that can hold someone back. It has held me back in the past and moving forward I hope to change this. I like the formatting and organization of your blog as it made it enjoyable and easy to read. I wish you the best of luck in your venture. If you have a chance check out my blog at http://domdey10.blogspot.com/2016/04/very-short-interview-part-2.html
Post a Comment