1) What was the biggest surprise for you in the reading? In other words, what did you read that stood out the most as different from your expectations?
The most surprising thing to me was the market penetration of only 19% which the author mentioned. This is an extremely low number and quantifies how woefully underserved the poor members of the world's population are when it comes to financial services. We enjoy so many advantages here in the US that it's easy to take our ability to obtain a line of credit or purchase a car with a loan for granted. It makes me appreciate and value the privileges I enjoy that much more.
2) Identify at least one part of the reading that was confusing to you.
I did not find any aspect of the reading that was confusing. If anything it was enlightening and a very interesting subject to encounter, as I've heard of micro loans and microfinance before, but I had not delved too deep into the subject. It makes me want to read more about it for sure.
3) If you were able to ask two questions to the author, what would you ask? Why?
I would ask if they have plans to expand to other underserved populations in other countries besides India.
I would also ask if this is an exportable model in the vein of a franchise, that can be adopted by let's say for example, a potential franchisee who wants to start their own business and the same time provide a service for people in the world who really need it.
I would also ask if this is an exportable model in the vein of a franchise, that can be adopted by let's say for example, a potential franchisee who wants to start their own business and the same time provide a service for people in the world who really need it.
4) Was there anything you think the author was wrong about? Where do you disagree with what she or he said? How?
The author was not wrong with any of the items they listed or described. I would like to become more involved in this type of industry at some point in time as you hear to often of the shenanigans of people in the finance industry and their self-serving agendas and crimes, why can't we make it so the same tools and concepts and methods serve the billions of people of the world that are hard working and honest instead.
No comments:
Post a Comment