Wednesday, April 6, 2016

My Exit Strategy


1) Identify the exit strategy you plan to make.
Do you intend to sell your business in the next 5 years for a large return? No

Do you intend to stay with the business for several decades and retire?  I would definitely attempt to grow and expand the business and make it so its sustainable and provides adequate residual income.  I would plan to work at it for as long as possible.

Do you intend to protect the venture as a family business, and pass it down to your children?  I would more than likely want to make it into a family business as long as my family is receptive to the idea and they exhibit the appropriate business skills and acumen required to maintain and grow a venture.

2) Why have you selected this particular exit strategy?  I think my concept lends itself to this kind of strategy as opposed to for example, the next killer application developed for smart phones that might make it a one and done kind of deal.

3) How do you think your exit strategy has influenced the other decisions you've made in your concept?  It has influenced most of my decisions in the sense that I would be starting and cultivating the business and modifying it along the way with the intent to make it sustainable and profitable over the long term, not necessarily looking at the different options that would allow me to cash out after it is successful and the business and real estate the business resides on has gained equity.

For instance, has it influenced how you have identified an opportunity? It has definitely done so as I had intended it to either be a gas station or a daycare which is also lucrative considering the offerings in the area.


Has it influenced your growth intentions or how you plan to acquire and use resources?  I think it has as I would be looking at an all or nothing attempt to ensure the business concept is successful, instead of throwing resources at it sparingly with the hope that it demonstrates or shows potential before becoming fully vested in it.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow this commenting system is a little complex. Anyways I think for your exit strategy I find it interesting that you hope it can be part of the family business. I partially understand that you want to change the gas station layout. Have you thought of patent it? Have you thought it would be better for gas station in general? When you leave the business who would you have it take over? Or would you sell it?

Unknown said...

http://notimportantrightnow.blogspot.com/2016/04/my-exit-strategy.html

Unknown said...

I think that you did an outstanding job with this post. I like that you would allow your family to be a part of it if they truly believed in the venture as you do instead of just giving it over without a second thought. That is similar to how I would. I would not just hand it over they would have to work for it and come up in the business.
Here is a link to my blog if you would like to look at it.
http://wjkms.blogspot.com/2016/04/my-exit-strategy.html

Michael McArdle said...

Your strategy is well thought out. I too would like to keep the business in the family for as long as it makes sense. It would obviously have to continue to yield profits and my family would have to have the ability and desire to be involved. I also would be open to the idea of selling if it made sense at the time. If the price was enough that it would give me and my family financial stability while also allowing start up funds for a new venture.

https://mcardle526.wordpress.com/2016/04/06/my-exit-strategy/