1) What was the biggest surprise for you in the reading? In
other words, what did you read that stood out the most as different from your
expectations?
It was really interesting to read about the framework of the
5 competitive forces that shape strategy.
For Porter to be able to bring to life this concept which can be abstract
and sort of broad if viewed plainly, is an incredible thing. I find that it breaks things down to a level
that I can understand and see the macro and micro implications of the chosen
strategy.
2) Identify at least one part of the reading that was
confusing to you.
The part I find confusing is how to apply this to all levels
of an organization. It’s a great
framework to go by and to be able to implement it effectively requires a
certain level of buy in that must be from the top down and in turn practiced by
all managers within the organization. I
would want a clearer understanding of how this would work at a more granular
level.
3) If you were able to ask two questions to the author, what
would you ask? Why?
I would ask Porter what was his inspiration in coming up
with this concept and did he ever imagine it would create such an impact in how
businesses operate and formulate their given strategies. These questions being answered would make me better understand Porter's mind so I could adopt a similar mindset once I'm a manager or find myself in a position of authority.
4) Was there anything you think the author was wrong about?
Where do you disagree with what she or he said? How?
I don’t’ think so.
Porter did a great job outlining the most efficient way to come up with
a strategy by identifying most elements that come into play that could affect a
positive outcome. It’s something that
can be applied in all industries and for that reason I think it’s something
that is very applicable till today.
Great job.
1 comment:
You make an interesting comment about how Porter's model doesn't seem to apply to individual divisions/groups within a venture. This is very insightful -- especially since often, these organizational subdivisions can also have 'buyers' and 'sellers' and 'substitutes,' etc.
Post a Comment