1) Who they are and what
their background is.
Daniel Carrion, Systems
Engineer II, Top Tech Systems
Daniel worked for Toptech
Systems as a Systems Engineer II. He
traveled to different cities and countries setting up fuel delivery systems for
fuel repositories/depots and worked in a highly technical capacity for them.
2) Which 'slot' you are
filling with each person (i.e., domain expert, market expert, supplier), and
how the person fills the spot. Domain
Expert. Daniel knows the ins and outs of
fuel delivery and how it pertains to the different suppliers that are located
regionally throughout the country.
3) A description of how you
found the person and contacted the person.
I've known Daniel for over 10 years.
4) The nature of the
exchange you have with the person -- what favor did they do for you? What is
the return expectation? Daniel has
always been a great friend and he's helped me move two times which indicates
he's an awesome person as that's how you know who your real friends are; when
it's moving day and who's actually shown up.
5) How will including this
person in your network enhance your ability to exploit an opportunity? He'll be able to let me know what, if any,
concerns I should have dealing with a particular vendor for fuel delivery
services.
1) Who they are and what
their background is. Don Strenk, Strenk
Management Consulting
Don has over 35 years in oil
refinery and convenience store industry.
He's worked for BP and ARCO in a high level managerial capacity in both
technical, operations and retail sales with great success.
2) Which 'slot' you are
filling with each person (i.e., domain expert, market expert, supplier), and
how the person fills the spot. Market
Expert. Don will be able to assist with
purchasing an existing gas station and the valuation of the business which is a
service his consulting firm provides.
3) A description of how you
found the person and contacted the person.
Found online and communicated via
email.
4) The nature of the
exchange you have with the person -- what favor did they do for you? What is
the return expectation? No favor or
return expectation as simple email communication regarding my
theoretical/school project concept was all that was involved.
5) How will including this
person in your network enhance your ability to exploit an opportunity? Theoretically, if I were to launch a business
such as this, it would behoove me to consult with an expert that can guide and
assist with the navigational aspects of ensuring we implement a successful and
sustainable business concept/model.
1) Who they are and what
their background is. Chris Richard,
Coca-Cola, Route Sales Representative
Chris worked for Coca-Cola
as a Route Sales Representative serving mostly convenience store/gas station
locations and ensuring all product marketing, advertising and displays were
correctly displayed and setup at all locations on his given route.
2) Which 'slot' you are
filling with each person (i.e., domain expert, market expert, supplier), and
how the person fills the spot.
Supplier. Chris is an expert on
the retail operations and supplier side for convenience stores that sell/offer
Coca-Cola.
3) A description of how you
found the person and contacted the person.
I've known Chris for a few years.
4) The nature of the
exchange you have with the person -- what favor did they do for you? What is
the return expectation? No favor or
return expectation. As a person I know
and have interacted with, a few questions pertaining to their time of
employment with Coca-Cola was easily imparted and he was very forthcoming and
helpful.
5) How will including this
person in your network enhance your ability to exploit an opportunity? His expertise with the branding and marketing
aspects of the convenience store business would prove invaluable to my new and
fledgling venture.
Reflection
How will this experience
shape how you participate in any future networking events?
I think I'll be more
comfortable asking folks what they do for a living as an ice breaker and
utilize this to be more engaging and affable when attending parties or
functions where I may not know everyone.
Did this experience differ
from your networking experiences in the past? How?
This experience did differ in the sense that I
had to dig a little deeper into my network of acquaintances and friends but it
all worked out in the end.
3 comments:
Great job interviewing these people. You seem to have spoken with some very helpful people. Chris Richard in particular seems to be a very helpful connection. I did not complete this assignment as I could not find the three required people. Because of this, however, I recognize the effort that you put in to finish this post. Best of luck with the further progression of your entrepreneurial endeavor.
It is very good to see that you have an existing network of contacts. Many people seem to forget about the importance of networking and getting to know more about connections. Daniel Carron and Don Strenk seem to be in similar industries as both deal with fuel distribution. I echoed the same premise with my assignment in which I listed off connections that have ties to local politics, which was the basis of my idea. Anyway if you want to check out my network, the link is http://entspring16.blogspot.com/2016/03/your-ventures-unfair-advantage.html
Great to see the use of existing network, as well as finding more individuals to increase your reach. It sounds like the contacts will definitely provide great insight to your venture. I know the convenience store industry is very cutthroat race to the bottom, which, fortunately, leaves a lot to be desired and plenty of opportunity to improve – which is great for you!
I unfortunately did not complete this assignment, but you can check out my blog at
http://ufentclassblog.blogspot.com/
Post a Comment