Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Top 5 World Problems

Most Serious

Income inequality
Terrorism
Climate change
Sexual Slavery
Wars and Conflicts

Least Serious

Hunger
AIDS
No running/potable drinking water
No availability of internet

Apathy

Most possible to implement

Climate Change
Income Inequality
Sexual Slavery
Terrorism
Wars and Conflicts

The reason I selected Income Inequality as the top problem is because I firmly believe that money and the corruptible power it bestows is the root of a lot of the evil that exists in the world.  An example of this is to take a look at the microcosm of violence and corruption that comprises the narcotics trafficking cartels in Mexico.  The money the illicit trade of narcotics brings, is so powerful that large swaths of the justice system and state police forces are entirely corrupt as a consequence.  They are bought and paid off so handsomely that over a hundred thousand people have died at the hands of this violence, just to traffic narcotics across the border to the U.S.  It has a trickle down effect in that it engenders and creates a vicious cycle that is hard to break in the form of dependencies and spin off illicit markets that are created in support of and in conjunction to the narcotics trafficking trade, such as prostitution, sexual slavery, murder, arms trafficking, human trafficking, etc.  All for money.  That’s the end goal and what these willing and unwilling participants are both fighting and sacrificed for, respectively.  Without this large gap in income, a lot of these ills and problems outlined would be in effect eliminated.  Impossible to eradicate as it is impossible to predict human nature. 

My most implementable solution I believe is climate change.  The reason I listed this one is because as humans we can certainly determine if there is a planet where we can spend money and vacation and work and fulfill our destinies, then it stands to reason that without a planet none of the aforementioned is then viable or possible.  We will reach a point where recycling, reduction in carbon emissions, conserving energy will become a necessity and not a green minded after thought for the conservationists and folks who seek to preserve and save our planet.  It’s a long shot but I really hope we start to really invest in green and renewable energy sources more so than we have in the past.  Without these technologies in the pipeline, our dependency on fossil fuels will continue.  Its high time we take care of our most valuable resource and the reason for our existence.  Its not like we have another planet we can simply take a space ship to and colonize and then begin to ruin that environment as well.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I think your opinion is very interesting. I do think income inequality is of some importance but I think morally sexual slavery is far worse. If you truly look deeper into sexual slavery you will truly see how that is one of the worst things on the entire planet. Any forms of slavery should be eliminated for everyone's life has equal right. Everyone deserves to be free regardless. I also think terrorism is huge. The current world is altering their thinking and many people are not traveling due to this. Plus many lives are being taken due to this problem. Check out my blog: https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=2458344027561127149#allposts

Unknown said...

Hi Ruben! I really liked what problems you chose to rank. They’re really problems that affect everyone. I agree with your justification that money is one of the biggest problems. The sad truth is that wealth is what drives this country, along with the world. And I agree that climate change can be implemented, but I’m not sure how likely it is to be the most implementable one, just because there’s so much damage that can’t be reversed. Overall, I really liked your post!

Michelle Christiana said...

Hi Ruben! I thought all of your points were very interesting and I agree with what you said about climate change. If we as a society can be aware of this issues, then we can most certainly work to slow it down. I also agree with one of your issues being income inequality. That has always been something we have dealt with and I do believe its a huge reason there is so much evil in the world. Here is the link to my post: http://myent3003blog.blogspot.com/2016/01/top-5-world-problems_27.html