Sunday, January 31, 2016

Week 4 Reading Reflection

The biggest surprise for me was reading how to identify opportunities and generate ideas as I never knew there was a method or a way to quantify the process of developing or creating these game changing items.  I know that there had to be a way to put into words the methods and idiosyncrasies that work when coming up with ideas and solutions I just never thought of it the way described in the book, so systematic and logical. 

I would say the most confusing aspect of the reading to me was the improving on creativity because I always had the misconception that people were either creative or not creative.  I always tend to think of creative types as really artsy and abstract in their thinking however entrepreneurs blend this with the systematic and logical process ability.  This part clarified a lot of the confusing aspect of creativity for me. 

I would ask the author what methods of the creative cultivation process have worked best for them in identifying opportunities.  My biggest challenge has always been in identifying the opportunity where others see a problem or an unsolvable issue.  I would love to be able to think in a mindset free of distractions and preconceived notions that bring out my tendency to rush to judgment and arrive to a conclusion without really seeing the whole problem and possible solutions.  Maybe thinking outside of the box would be helpful, I just need a more forceful nudge to implore that kind of thinking. 

I would also ask what other useful aspects of the creative process can be dug deeper into as I always have a cool book idea or graphic novel concept but always fail to expound or elaborate enough to make it come to fruition.  I always end up dropping it and it will usually be out of sight and out of mind so nothing has ever come of it. 


I don’t think the author was incorrect about anything in the reading.  As usual, this book serves to broaden my thinking which I always go into not expecting much when reading the subject matter.  I always take away a pretty neat concept or nugget of information that I share with my coworkers or my fiancĂ© and it will be no different with this reading. 

No comments: