1. Slow
drivers in the left lane on I-4
-I commute on I-4 to work daily and its
extremely irritating and vexing when I end up behind a driver going slower than
the posted speed limit which affects multiple drivers not being able to go
around or proceed in an orderly fashion.
It not only causes road rage; it also creates dangerous situations where
a driver may feel compelled to perform a lane change maneuver that can further
endanger other drivers as a consequence.
This bug exists because there isn’t a strict
or enforced no passing on the right lane traffic laws. This would in effect prevent motorists from
going slow in the fast lane as this aspect would also be enforced in
conjunction with the first part.
2. My 3-year-old
toddler daughter delaying the ‘getting ready’ process in the morning
-Every morning I take my daughter to
daycare and she purposefully drags her feet when getting ready, from brushing
her teeth, to picking out her outfit, to eating breakfast and to finally
putting her shoes on. I have had to
incorporate the utmost amount of patience I can muster in order to remain on
task and get us out of the house on time and ensure I don’t have to drive like
a mad man in order to get her to daycare, and myself to work on time. Its kind of hard to level with a 3-year-old
and explain the consequences of not arriving on time to work repeatedly and how
it can cost me my job.
This bug exists because my fiancé and I
have to get better at enforcing the bed time routine we have with our
daughter. If we were to implement this
more often than not, she would have a more set timeframe for bed which in turn
would allow her to wake up earlier reducing the need for me to try to fit in
what normally can be accomplished in a half hour, in about an hour.
3. My Waterpik
toothbrush not charging properly or charging enough when I place it on its cradle
-I have a Waterpik toothbrush and it
charges with a wireless charging stand.
For some odd reason every once in a while, even though the charging
indicator scrolls the battery status indicator lights, it won’t result in the
toothbrush charging. I then have to
manually brush my teeth. I know it
sounds trivial and kind of banal, but the toothbrush times the amount of time
you spend on each quadrant of your mouth.
It also cleans more thoroughly than manual brushing and is a definite
must for oral hygiene.
This bug exists because possibly the battery
on the toothbrush base is starting to deteriorate and not hold a solid enough
charge between uses. The fix would be to
replace the battery in the base if possible or the base itself.
4. My
iPhone 5S not holding a charge longer than a full work day
-I’ve had my iPhone 5S for a bit and it’s a
great phone. Not too big and not too
small. It weighs just enough and it
meets all of my needs for a mobile device.
The only gripe I have about the device is that the battery life suddenly
started to diminish and deplete way faster than it usually did. I’ve verified all of the settings that could
cause the phone’s battery to use up faster than normal and they are all not
enabled. The only thing I can think of
that could be causing this issue is the hardware not playing well or nice with
the latest version of the iOS operating system.
My fiancé thinks I should just upgrade to a 6S. I figure I will but I’ll more than likely
wait for the iPhone 7 to come out. Until
then I’ll have to deal with the battery life issue and just carry an extra
charger.
This bug exists because the hardware and
software are not optimized for each other as in other Apple products. The newer/later versions of iOS function
better with the newer/later versions of Apple hardware. The fix would be to simply use a newer phone.
5. Police
speed traps by my job
-Approaching the business park where I work
there is a fire station that is obscured by bushes at the crest of a curve. It is a prime spot for sheriff’s deputies to
hang out and walk out of the bushes and pull people over for going over the
posted speed limit of 35mph. I am
normally on time and rarely have go slightly faster than the speed limit, but
in the off chance that I need to, I have to be extra careful in this area as
the 35mph speed limit is strictly enforced.
It definitely puts a damper on a lot of folks’ day as they are usually
there pulling people over.
This bug exists because the county
generates revenue from speeding tickets.
I can ensure I leave for work on time and not have to speed in order to
arrive on time.
6. Drivers
driving dangerously slow or fast in the rain in Central Florida
-It seems that whenever it rains in the
Central Florida area, drivers simply lose all sense of normal driving and end
up endangering people with their driving.
When I drive on I-4 or the expressways and it rains, it seems drivers
start to slam on their brakes and slow down drastically or they proceed to
drive extremely fast and recklessly. I
try to slow down enough to retain control of the vehicle but without making
sudden moves as visibility and reaction times are affected when it rains,
especially with the sudden torrential downpours we tend to encounter here in
Orlando.
This bug exists because people are inexperienced driving in the rain and at normal highway speeds. This may be due to the fact that FL is a highly transient state as well as a tourist destination with a lot of out town/out of state drivers.
7. 2-liter
soda bottles going flat
-I hate it when I go to pour myself a glass
of soda, and I end up splashing the refreshing beverage on ice cubes only to
find out its flat and not sizzling or bubbling.
It can be quite annoying and disconcerting.
This bug exists because the soda bottle cap
may not be tightened enough and the CO2 gas escapes causing it go flat pretty
soon. They sell bottle caps that pump and
preserve the CO2 gas longer than usual which is a cool solution.
8. Humidity levels in Florida mostly year
round
-I find it really difficult to deal with
the humidity levels in Florida especially when I get ready in the morning and
my car is still really hot inside. I
don’t have the cool feature to remote start my car and have the car chilled by
the time I get in it. It’s extremely
unpleasant to get showered and dressed and then to go out and start to sweat
and get all sticky is not very cool, literally.
This bug exists because Florida is simply a
hot and humid state by default.
9. Love bugs
-These lovely creatures come out seasonally
and they end up staining my car’s windshield, front bumper and side view
mirrors. It is a pain to deal with these
stains, as they are pretty difficult to scrub and remove them from the car’s
paint. You also have to live with the
fact knowing you ended the little bugs lives which makes you feel even worst.
This bug, literally exists because they
have a mating season that causes them to join and then populate in abundance
everywhere. They in turn end up becoming
victims to the deadly windshields of speeding motorists.
10. My fiancé’s aversion to turning on the AC
at my house
-We own a 2 story house and it takes a while
to cool down or heat my house. My fiancé
is, how do I put it succinctly, frugal.
She hates to adjust the AC thermostat because it would make our utility
bill go up and since its an element of spending she can control, it ends up
being a modifiable element that gets adjusted frequently.
This bug exists because a 2 story house is
inherently inefficient to cool and heat.
I’m sure better insulating properties and materials can be implemented
but the house is already built. I can
take the time and money and invest in improvements, which I think ultimately
may be the answer.
11. Drivers not putting on their turn signals
-For some odd reason I end up behind
drivers who hate to use their turn signals.
The main reason it bothers me is because for me, I hate to brake late
and have to make such a jarring action to stop on time. It can be easily rectified by simply turning
on the turn signal and giving the driver behind you the courtesy so you don’t
have to brake so suddenly.
This bug exists because this is not
strictly enforced when encountered. If
the police were to ticket and fine motorists for not putting their turn signals
on, this would be a less commonly occurring problem.
12. Going to Wal-Mart and deviating from my
compiled list and spending way more than anticipated
-I normally make a list before I go to
Wal-Mart with the clear intent to remain on task and not spend more money and
obtain more items than what I wanted to.
But every time I go to Wal-Mart, I end up walking the aisles and I start
to gather items that were not on my list.
I end up buying snacks and goodies that I didn’t plan for mostly because
I made the mistake of going to the store on an empty stomach.
This bug exists because Wal-Mart is
extremely efficient at their store layout and product offerings. I can also be a bit more restrained with my
product selection and not go there on an empty stomach.
13. The shallow sink that came with my house
-We purchased our house and it came with a
spacious kitchen with lots of counter space.
My only gripe is that it has an extremely shallow sink which makes it
impossible to wash dishes or pots/pans that are not small or if they number a
large quantity.
This bug exists because the stainless steel
sink that came with the house was designed and manufactured that way. I’m sure a slightly deeper one would have
been a bit more money but definitely worth the expense.
14. No gutters on the side of my house
-My house has a gutter system that does a
great job at channeling water when it rains and it dumps said water towards the
front of the house with great efficiency.
However, the 2 sides of my house don’t have a gutter so the end result
is the grass area on the side of the house becomes flooded and puddled with
water. This isn’t so much a problem in
the sense that the grass eventually absorbs the water, however when I need to
cut the grass, I end up tracking through water, which eventually becomes
mud. This just makes cutting the grass a
bit more tedious and effort-full.
This bug exists because Florida is
inherently a rainy state and we see our fair share of precipitation regardless
of the design of the house or the existence of the rain gutter location.
15. Detail/cutting work when painting a room in
my house
-As a fairly new home owner, I ended up
having to paint some rooms a different color other than the standard color that
came with the house. The painting of the
large expanses of the rooms isn’t so difficult in terms of labor, that’s not
the crux of the problem. My gripe is
with the detail work when painting the borders of the wall where it meets the
base board and the ceiling.
This bug exists because it’s pretty time
consuming to perform detailed work and as such proper results require proper
effort.
16. Christmas lights being a tangled
-Every year I have to untangle Christmas
lights and this proves to be a trying experience. You have to painstakingly go through each set
of lights and then make sure they work when plugged in.
This bug exists because the form factor of
the wires just tangle when wrapped together.
I’m sure I can get small device to more effectively wrap the lights and
keep them from tangling.
17. Cup holders in my car being too shallow
-My car is a great car and I’m of course
grateful that I am able to own it since it takes me places and allows me to
work. The car however has an ergonomic
mistake which every owner must complain about since its so glaring. The cup holder, I mention one since it’s the
only one in the center console, is extremely shallow. I can place a medium size cup however it
spills over with any turn I take or when I brake to come to a stop.
This bug exists because the vehicle
interior designers did not thoroughly plan the cup holders in this
vehicle. Making them too shallow causes
all drink items to spill and if they had put more thought into this item, it
would have been better designed to hold a variety of cups.
18. Burnt popcorn smell from the microwave in
the break room at my job or in general
-My desk at my job is very close to the
break room. This is usually not a
problem but a benefit as I can heat up my lunch and get water from the filtered
water dispenser with ease because of its close proximity. The only problem I encounter is when people
pop microwave popcorn and they put too much time on the microwave timer which
ends up with nasty, burnt popcorn smell permeating not only the break room, but
also the row where my desk is located.
This bug exists because the microwave at
the job probably has a problem with power levels which affects the popping of
the microwave. That and I can always move my
desk and not be affected by the smell of the burnt popcorn.
19. Caked on food on stainless steel pans/pots
-When my fiancé cooks she tends to pan sear
a lot of the protein we consume which is a fine way to prepare meals. However, this cooking method on stainless
steel pots can be a pain to clean up afterwards as the labor involved with
scrubbing can be intense.
This bug exists because we don’t use enough
olive oil from the mister we utilize to line the stainless steel pan when we
cook. Another solution would be to use
Bar Keeper’s Friend to clean the pots/pans or boil vinegar on the pots/pans
after the fact.
20. Smoke detector chime/beep when 9V battery
is running low
-This is a pet peeve of mine which I’ve had
to deal with recently. I have
approximately 6 smoke detectors spread throughout my house. This is definitely a great feature of the house
as it can alert us of any fires and it generally serves to keep us safe. My gripe with this is that when the battery
runs low on one of them, it starts to beep, periodically, yet incessantly and
very annoyingly.
This bug exists because its meant to warn the
home owners to the failing or dead battery in the smoke detector unit. A solution would be to replace the battery as
soon as the first beep is heard.
This bug list was pretty hard to come up with and it did take me some time to really think about things that bothered me without being redundant. Mostly they were things that unfortunately are out of my control, although not all of them. I'm interested in seeing which bugs, if any I may have in common with other students in the course. I'm sure it'll be a fun experience to see what bothers folks and how I can relate to their pain.
This bug list was pretty hard to come up with and it did take me some time to really think about things that bothered me without being redundant. Mostly they were things that unfortunately are out of my control, although not all of them. I'm interested in seeing which bugs, if any I may have in common with other students in the course. I'm sure it'll be a fun experience to see what bothers folks and how I can relate to their pain.
2 comments:
Any bug that has to deal with slow drivers, or drivers in general also irritate me too. It seems that when I am driving, no one else knows how to drive properly. Also, I have a problem with my iPhone holding a full charge, and yet, when I go to class, I sometimes forget to bring my charger. Here is the link to my bug list if you want to check it out. http://stefanent3003.blogspot.com/2016/01/bug-list.html
You made some good observations. Overall you did a good job of identifying daily issues and possible reasons as to why they happen. Burnt popcorn sounds pretty bad! A solution might be to actually teach people on how to cook haha. Some of the things you listed, like the comment about your three year old daughter seems to be a changing variable. Meaning she may be in a different mood each day so I'm not sure how one solution could fix that but, good job overall.
Post a Comment